Wednesday, May 1, 2013

God Has a Sense of Humor

I have never been the type to want a bunch of attention drawn to me in public.  I dress in simple clothes.  I speak when I need to, but I'm not one to strike up a conversation with a perfect stranger.  I leave people alone and they leave me alone.

Well, at least that's the way it was until Rylie came along.  People are drawn to her, and since I'm usually the one with her, that means I have to talk to people. Yes, even perfect strangers. 

Ugh.

I had an old lady chase me down at the grocery store so she could get a closer look at Rylie.  And no, I'm not exaggerating when I say "chase."  She almost ran.  We have people come up to our table at restaurants every time we go out to eat.  We have spouses getting in competitions with each other to see who can make her smile first.  It's crazy! 

I never knew people were like this with babies.

Maybe people do this with all babies.  Maybe I've just never noticed, because I'm not the type to walk up to perfect strangers and talk to their babies. 

Or maybe, God just new I needed someone in my life, someone special, to push me out of my comfort zone and have more contact with perfect strangers than I had ever wanted.

Maybe He is teaching me something through her.  How to be a more social person.  Or how to bring a smile to a stranger's face.  Or that it's okay to walk up to a perfect stranger and pay them a compliment, even if it's about their cute baby.  Or maybe He just wanted a good laugh.

In any case, I am always happy that Rylie brings so many smiles to the faces of perfect strangers.  I am happy that she brightens the day for more than just myself.  God has given this world a gift.  How He entrusted such a special gift into my hands is beyond what I can comprehend, but I am so grateful to be a part of it.


 

3 comments:

  1. God is smiling from the compliments and adoration you give Him by Him giving you the blessings of Rylie! I am so proud that you are aware that she is a blessing from God! She is blessed with a special Mother and Dad! Rylie is a beautiful baby no doubt!

    But her Nonny is one of those people who is drawn to babies and would run to see her and all babies ,especially someone as beautiful as she. I love babies! I love our first granddaughter!!!!!

    Melissa,you are so talented with words.you could have a second job as a journalist or a photographer! You are using both of these talents in your role as a great Mother! Happy 1st Mother's Day! Love, Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture of Rylie. The pics I took of her lips,hands,ears,eyes,feet,etc did not turn out very well. I would love to have some pictures of her in black and white if you can take some for me if and when you have time. Isaw a grouping of these on Pinterest and it was so special. It just magnifies the blessings of Gods creation in Rylie. Thanks,Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our children teach us some of the most important lessons in life.

    ReplyDelete