Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas 2008





So this Christmas was very different than those in the past. First, for me, this was the first year not to be with my family at all around Christmas. Second, Christmas is a time for giving, right? Well we weren't able to give anyone anything this year. Both of these things (along with the fact that I worked Christmas eve and day) left me feeling a bit like Scrooge.
First to come to terms with not being with my family, I had to remember I spent a long Thanksgiving weekend with them only a month ago. Plus we got to go to Dothan (first time for me) to visit Ryan's family and had a great holiday meal the weekend before Christmas. Plus, Ryan and I had a great Christmas morning with the dogs before I went to work and a great Christmas dinner when I got home from work, okay... family time covered.
Now, for the whole lack of gift giving. As we examined our finances over the last couple of months along with the priority of one last semester of school to pay for, we decided we wouldn't be able to do any Christmas shopping this year. At first, I was very upset; I love finding the "right" gift to put a smile on someone's face. But as I sat back and watched all of the fuss over Christmas shopping and how much people would spend in this poor economy, and how packed all the stores were from Black Friday until Christmas eve, and the death that occurred during a shopping stampede and the fact that shoppers were actually angry that the store closed long enough to have the body carried away, it came to me that giving should be less about the material items and more about time, thought, and love. Yes, maybe it's cheezy, but it really is a bit disgusting to sit back and watch the fuss over getting the biggest, best, newest gifts each year. If you have the money, fine, buy it, but don't put yourself deeper into debt just to give your kid a toy that will be covered in a pile of old toys and dust by February. The time spent shopping and making extra money for the gifts could be put toward more time with family getting creative around the house, taking a weekend vacation, or volunteering to help others in need, which would create memories and values lasting much longer than February. I'm not saying that I will never Christmas shop again, but I know that I will put more thought into the gifts that I may buy and hope that I won't sacrifice time with family to stand for hours in lines for gifts that have no meaning.

Okay, now as I step down from my Christmas shopping soapbox, I want to post a few pictures of our dogs (the closest thing to children for now) enjoying their gifts from Grandma and Grandpa Wood. Christmas time really is about moments with the ones we love. Ryan and I are so thankful for the gifts we received from family and wish we could have done more in return, but the important thing is that we have each other and we have wonderful families standing behinds us and supporting us in all that we try to achieve. When moments with these families are scarce, we realize the importance of time spent with the ones we love and hope to never take those moments for granted.
We hope you had a very Merry Christmas and wish you the most happiness in the new year.

-Melissa



2 comments:

  1. This is special to me and I'm so appreciative to have you in the family. Ryan certainly found a special person who appreciates the meaning and joy of life. You're my kind of person who is not caught up in the material world and gets satisfaction from simple things and honest living with a tight family.
    I feel for you and the void you have being distant from your close family and the inability to give back something. Don't get hung up on the present but keep looking ahead to when you complete this major hurdle and all the enriched joy you will gain. This is the first day of your life and both have a very bright future. Hung in there for one more semester.
    Please never give up on Ryan. He's my first born and God's gift to me. Please push him mentally and physically. After you finish your degree, I want him to complete his. As you know, he needs very strong encouragement to do something challenging but once he starts and he likes it; he usually finishes the tasks.
    Keep telling him that you "Can't get anywhere unless to start".
    I've added your blog to my favorite links and promise to read it often.
    Love you, Grandpa Wood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to post a comment once , but was unsuccessful. Maybe this time I will be successful. We enjoyed you coming to Dothan so much and want you to come more often. Maybe our home can fill a void while your schedule is so busy with little time off to take to make the trip to see your parents. I was so touched by the words you penned on your blog. You have such depth to your life even though you are very young. I want to tell you once again that I feel that you are an answer to a lot of prayers for Ryan; you are definitely an angel sent by God for him. This is the reason I chose an angel for your stocking because I sincerely feel this way.

    I'm not ready to be called Grandma. We have to come up with a different title for me. Just kidding. I'm glad you liked the blankets and the pictures of Aspen and Duke are great.

    I know it has been hard with your work and school but we are so proud for you to be in our family and I am proud to have another daughter. Your maturity level is remarkable.
    We love you, Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete