Thursday, July 16, 2009

Never got a round TUIT...

As my time in Birmingham nears a close, I am left with the thought of all the things I wanted to do while I was here. Living in or near a large city, you have access to all sorts of entertainment and cultural events. There are always "off Broadway" plays...I missed every single on of them. The Birmingham Ballet would be great to see. I really wanted to see the Nutcracker...for the past three Christmas's that I was here...I've heard the Birmingham Zoo keeps getting better through the years (I wouldn't know first hand). I didn't even visit Birmingham's most notable landmark, the Vulcan (I could see it across the city from my job on the 9th floor of UAB hospital though). The shopping is great. I did take some time to wander around the 3 malls (there are probably more that I don't know about) but could probably count on one hand the items of clothing I actually bought for myself over the past 3 years...Okay maybe 2 hands.

I could go on and on about all the things I would've loved to do, but I have to remind myself that there was a good reason that I didn't get to do those things. Number 1: I was a graduate student who was also working full time (part time for the last year) as an RN... Which puts a strain on both time and money. And 2: During the periods of time that I did have a few days off, I tried to use those to go spend time with family.

Although it sounds like a lot of lost opportunity, the most important thing is that I gained so much more. Sure I wish I could have done more while I was here, but I did finish a graduate degree which ultimately will get me much further in my career, and I will be able to take vacations to other cities with even more to do...or less if that is what I'm in the mood for. My future will be much brighter due to the sacrifices I've made over the past 3 years, or 7 if you want to get technical.

Plus, who could forget, I did find and marry my best friend who put up with me through some of the most stressful years of my life...and I didn't even need someone to give me a round tuit to get to that!

1 comment:

  1. Grandma and GrandpaJuly 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

    Melissa, you always seem to find the deep meaning in life, weighing the good and bad and keeping such a positive attitude! Many good things are coming y0ur way,we're waiting for the arrival of Mr and Mrs Wood in Arkansas tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete