Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Supporting the Local Market

My sister, Kim, and I are hooked on something we both experienced for the first time today...the Mountain Home Farmers Market! We had a great time looking at all the fresh produce, baked goods, homemade salsa and jams, and a few crafts. We both stocked up for the week and hope to make it a weekly tradition. This will save us some money, give us access to the freshest produce, and most importantly, support local farmers and the local economy.

I'm a little picky about my tomatoes. Many vendors (eg. grocery stores) refrigerate tomatoes at some point to reach and maintain an appealing color and texture, and ultimately, make them last longer...great for looks, bad for taste. Refrigerating tomatoes zaps all of that fresh-from-the-garden taste from the tomatoes (and isn't that what we are looking for in a tomato?). These tomatoes are organic, locally grown, and FLAVORFUL!

I spent about $18 on all of this...


But when you consider these two items were $9 (half of the total), I did pretty well on the produce. Homemade salsa and jam...so worth it!



Support your local farmers!


1 comment:

  1. OH MY!!! Have you tried the salsa?? I could drink it! Ha! I had a PBJ for lunch with my new jelly, and reece and i had some cucumber with supper! Yummy! Can't wait 'til next week!!

    ReplyDelete