Sunday, March 6, 2011

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast

This is a perfect recovery meal after a long run. Plenty of carbs to replenish your energy stores and plenty of protein for muscle recovery. I dreamt this up this week, and since I only have time for cereal during the week, I knew it would be perfect this weekend after my 7 miler. I'm sure someone has probably thought of this before, but for me this is a new recipe and it is now one of my favorites!


Start by spreading 1 TBSP peanut butter on two pieces of bread. It will go on pretty thin since it's only 1 TBSP for two slices, but you need a little stickiness on both pieces. Choose a 100% whole wheat bread with about 50 calories per slice.


Next, thinly slice 1/2 of a banana and sandwich the slices between the bread.


Beat one large egg, add a splash of milk, then dip the sandwich. Flip it over to coat both sides.

Throw it on a griddle or hot skillet and cook each side until golden like this.

I was going to drizzle a little honey on top instead of syrup to complement the PB, but apparently, I haven't used honey in a while. It was all dried up.
Plan B: Sugar free syrup. It only has 35 calories for 1/4 a cup, and with all the sweetness from the banana, you don't even miss the sugar.

Here's the final product! It was sooo delicious...I think I need to go on another run so I can have another "recovery" meal. Plus, it only has about 315 calories. Add a glass of milk and call it a meal!
Eat well my friends!





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I love PB and Banana sandwiches - so I'm def. Going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete