Thursday, December 6, 2012

Rolly Poly

Rylie earned a reputation while in utero for being especially active.  She rolled and turned so much that we were never sure if she would ever get head-down and ready for delivery.  From this, came nicknames such as Rolly Poly, Tootsie Roll, Rolo, little stinker...you get the idea. 
 
Now, who would have thought this would carry over into her life in the outside world, until this:
 
 
 
She would do anything to get out of tummy time, even roll over at the ripe-old age of 37 days.  I didn't think much of the above maneuver.  I wasn't going to call her a genius or sign her up for the Olympics just yet.  After all, she had a little extra leverage with her feet against my leg.  She was on a soft surface and she was on a bit of an incline, so gravity could have helped her.  Plus, she didn't even make it all the way to her back (although this video was taken on the third time she did it, so she was obviously getting the hang of it).

I completely underestimated her.

Today, as I was getting ready to take her to the mall, she was wide awake and as happy as can be.  Those moments are usually the best to plop her on her tummy to let her get a little workout in before her mood goes south.  I spread out a blanket and put her on her stomach on the floor in our bedroom.  She did a couple head lifts and began kicking her legs ferociously as usual and began to fuss.  I usually give her a couple more minutes before I let her give up.  As she was grunting, fussing, and pushing with her arms and legs, I turned around to put my shirt on, and when I turned back around, she was flat ON HER BACK!

I squealed a little and clapped for her and even tried to get her to do it again with the video camera (aka iPhone) rolling, but by then, she was completely over tummy time and just laid flat on her face and cried. 

Now, I'm sure it's a fluke, right?  Most babies don't roll from front to back until about 4 months...not 37 days...

We may be waiting another 3 months before she does it again, but you can be sure I will have the camera ready during every tummy time session from here on out, just to try to capture it in the rare case she does it again.

In the meantime, I'll have the Olympics gymnast team on standby for their newest member.

1 comment:

  1. What a neat video! She is remarkable. Love her so much! Wish I could hug her and kiss her!love nana rose. Let's sign her up for the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete