Friday, June 18, 2010

Too Hot to Run?


If you feel the need to let your loved ones know where to find you in case the worst happens (Read: heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, unconsciousness), is it too hot to run?

Probably.

Ryan was at the gym. I wanted to go for a run before he got home so my evening run wouldn't interrupt our plans to watch a movie, go fishing, or veg on the couch (we hadn't decided yet).
My car said it was 99 degrees, my sweat glands said it was 110 with the humidity. But I went anyway, slowly but surely...4 miles. There was a breeze when I was facing one direction, and an occasional tree for shade, and even more rarely, a cloud passing overhead...all of which saved me.

I made it home, no heat stroke, but tomorrow I'm going to go at about 5:30am rather than 5:30pm.

Happy Running,

3 comments:

  1. Do you guys have a lot of humidity? That always makes it worse.

    It actually does get to 110 here on every once and awhile - and even without the humidity, that still WAY to hot... yet I see crazy people out there running. I don't know how they do it! Perhaps you would be one of those ppeople here n AZ ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lots of humidity here! I don't really know what it's like to not have humidity...might be a nice change. But 110 degrees whether humid or dry is too HOT! and yes...sometimes I wonder if I'm one of those crazy people... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really humid here in Maryland too. I am single parenting this week as hubby is going to Germany for work so my goal is to get out of bed at 6:00 while the kidlets are still sleeping and the humidity is down to run. Kids are 10 and almost 15 so I leave them alone for the four hours I work and they have to stay in the house and watch tv or play the Wii till I get home. So running after work or in the evening means trusting them outside while I do and I don't trust them so much!

    ReplyDelete