Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Two in the Freezer

We now have two bass in the freezer (inching our way closer to a fish-fry). One was caught Saturday night by Ryan's friend, Jonathan, and one was caught Sunday night by Ryan. I came dangerously close to catching one myself, but the line got hung and my luck ran out just like that (you need the sound of fingers snapping in the background to make that line work...just bear with me).

Now, I say dangerously close because of this:

As Ryan was cleaning his fish Sunday night, he asked me to spray the hose on the fish to get rid of the blood resulting from its recent decapitation. As I'm rinsing blood and Ryan begins scraping scales off the fish's sides, he says, "You know the rule don't you?"

Me: "Rule?"

Ryan: "You catch it, you clean it."

He can't possibly be serious.

Ryan: "So make sure you watch everything I'm doing."

He's serious. "No, I'm not cleaning any fish."

"Why not?"

"Cuz that's a boy's job." It's the best I could come up with at the time.

"Yes you will," he says with a devious grin on his face. "Here honey, I need some water over here so the scales don't fly everywhere."

Oh yeah, I'm holding the hose...almost forgot.

This almost deterred me from wanting to catch a fish, but I'm pretty sure Ryan will feel sorry for me and do it for me anyway...rule or no rule. But it could make for a good story if he doesn't ;).

Now, sit back and relax. You are about to enjoy the second installment of our fish catching extravaganza. This stuff should be on the Outdoor Channel.

Here it is: the biggest fish caught off the SS Minnow (to date). P.S. We really have to rename our boat. Ryan jokingly called it that the first few days we had it and it kind of stuck. But now I know that was the ship that sunk on Gilligan's Island (I had a sheltered childhood with only 2-3 channels until I was 18, so I never saw one episode of the show).

Anyway, without further delay...drum roll please...




Who's ready for a fish-fry?

3 comments:

  1. Nice fish, Few more like that and you will have enough for a big fish fry. Keep it up. You'll supply the fish and we'll supply the fries, hushpuppies and cook. Deal???
    Love.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try that one. It will be yummy.I am with you, Melissa; I wouldn't get to eat any if I had to clean them.Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me. A good start anyway! I am with you, Melissa, no cleaning for me either. Love, MOm

    ReplyDelete