Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mediterranean BLT...and more

Ryan and I have had a very relaxing weekend (thanks to him finishing all the housework on Friday!). Yesterday, we went to the Farmer's Market and picked up some fresh produce. We used some of the tomatoes to make BLTs today. I put a little Mediterranean spin on mine...brush the bread with olive oil, add a few kalamata olives, and feta cheese and you get a delicious new spin on an old favorite!


We also wandered into a couple organic/health food stores yesterday...one on the square, and the other is called the Truck Patch which just recently opened. I LOVED them both! I didn't even realize we had anything like that around here. We found a wide variety of fresh spices at one of the stores...including real vanilla bean. I couldn't pass it up. So today, I made vanilla bean cupcake tops (with a muffin top pan) with vanilla bean icing.

It's like vanilla heaven.

I ran out of butter so I had to improvise another icing for the remaining cupcakes. I used some fresh almond butter that we had picked up yesterday.

These were a little warm when iced, so the icing got all warm and melty...I'll just let your taste buds process that for a minute...


1/2 cup almond butter
1.5 cups confectioner sugar
and a splash of milk

These vanilla cupcakes were yummy enough to eat plain, but the vanilla bean buttercream icing and almond butter frosting made them over the top! I have plenty of leftovers if anyone wants to come sample some!

2 comments:

  1. The muffin tops sure are cute! Didn't know there was a pan for that. Sounds good. You are quite the baker!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to sample some. Send me the cupcake recipe. It looks yummy!!!!Love, Rose marie

    ReplyDelete