Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hip Update

Good news: I don't have to use crutches.

Bad news: At least 1 more month without any running or walking (other than the amount of walking required for my regular daily activities). The ortho also said many times this can require surgery and without surgery, it can take even up to 3-4 months to fully recover. BUT he said, "I have to completely shut you down for the next month to give you your best chance to heal on your own."

"Shut me down?" I said, having a little trouble following...

"Yes."

"Does that me I can't do ANYthing?"

"Maybe a little core work...What did you have in mind."

"I do Pilates two or three days a week. It's a mat workout...mostly core work...not really any weight-bearing except if we get on our hands and knees for back and butt work." He didn't look like the type to have done pilates in the past...hence the need for excessive explanation.

"That might be ok as long as you don't feel anything in your hip."

Darn, it really started hurting last week, about halfway through the class. My pilates instructor is going to think I'm dead. I haven't missed a month worth of class...ever. "What about a stationary bike?"

"No."

But that's not technically weight bearing the last time I checked. I guess I better just shut up, I'm starting to sound desperate. "Okay then. I can do it...absolutely nothing for one month."

"Good. Sorry this happened to you."

Not as sorry as I am. "It's alright. As long as it's something that will heal eventually, I'll be alright."

If I don't go crazy in the mean time.

Then he said something like: we'll see ya in a month and oh-by-the-way make sure you're diet is sufficient and get at least 1500mg of Calcium and 1000IU of vitamin D.

So, I hobble my way to the desk, make my appointment, and head back to the office. I immediately run into Dr. Burnett, "How's the broken hip?" If you know him, you're probably laughing a little now. I told him all about it and he says, "You need to get your vitamin D checked..." and oh-by-the-way "It looks like I'll be running a marathon before you!" and he laughs...and if you know him you are probably laughing even harder now. I was (his laugh is contagious). And he's probably right. He's hoping to do a marathon in January...His first at age...well I'm not sure exactly, but he's been a physician for over 30 years, so you do the math.

So I head to the lab have my arm poked for the second time today for my vitamin D level. I had already gotten lab this morning because one of my fellow NP's thought that I should have a routine set of labs, because apparently, young healthy people aren't supposed end up with a broken hip. I knew he had a good point, plus, I haven't had my cholesterol checked in a few years or anything else for that matter.

I got the results this afternoon. Total cholesterol was 148...boo-ya! And all my other labs were great. The vitamin D level takes a few days, but I started a calcium+D supplement today, just-in-case.

So, I looks like I'm a perfectly healthy young woman...with a broken hip. But you never know what may come out of this. Maybe I'll find a new fun hobby that will help pass the time. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about this but we have to try to look at the positives. You don't have to be on crutches or a wheel chair. With your motivation and great healthy eating, I am sure you will make it through this. I guess God is telling you to slow down a little and not pound that fragile body so much. We will be praying for quick healing. Love you, Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete